Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor in Citrus County, Florida
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your house. A well-maintained roof is the difference between a warm, comfy, dry home, and a home that is damp, leaky and moldy. No one wants to deal with the unfortunate occurrence of a caved in roof. Thus, it is important to maintain your roof by seeking the services of quality roofing contractors.
Finding the right roofing contractor requires time, effort and most importantly discernment. Not every company that has a license to complete roofing and home improvement work is adequately qualified to do so. In some cases, there are roofing contractors that are not even insured. Selecting these types of roofing contractors only makes for additional roofing headaches and concerns in the long term. That’s why it is necessary to know which roofing professionals are dependable, honest and qualified. The following are some factors that you should consider when hiring a roofing contractor.
- Check the BBB-When considering any roofing contractor, the Better Business Bureau is a good place to start. The Better Business Bureau allows you to research the name of a particular roofing company and receive an overall rating of their professional performance. Ratings range from A+ to F reflecting the overall quality of a company’s business practices. Checking the Better Business Bureau can either save you a lot of trouble in the long run or help you find those roofing contractors that are best for your next roofing project. Consumers are more than willing to express their happiness and displeasure with companies via the Better Business Bureau. Don’t hesitate to use it to your advantage.
- Referrals-Referrals are oftentimes the best way to go when seeking a qualified roofing contractor such as Citrus County Roofing. Asking family, friends and even your neighbors who they use for their roofing work is a good way to find a reputable roofing company with results that you can actually see before making a commitment. Also, local roofing companies usually have a firm relationship with the communities that they work with, and they are more likely to go above and beyond to ensure that you are satisfied as a customer in order to maintain their good community reputation.
- Verify the Legitimacy of the Company-Are the companies that you are considering for your roofing project legitimate? Any roofing company that you have in mind should be easy to access. When you call their business line does it ring and go to voicemail or does a live person actually pick up? Does the roofing company you are considering have a fully functioning website that shows obvious signs of recent updates, or is the website a simple generic template? Have you visited the physical business location of the roofing company? What do the building and grounds look like? These are all questions that are important to consider to help you determine if the roofing company you have your eye on is legitimate.
- Licensing is Important-Using a licensed roofing company such as Homosassa Roofing is vitally important to ensuring that your work is performed by individuals that have the skills and expertise to complete the job. Most states require roofing contractors to obtain a license. Those roofing contractors that have complied with this request are able to provide you with a copy of their license. You can easily confirm the validity of the license online via the state licensing board.
- Insurance-Steer clear of any roofing company that cannot provide proof of insurance. While not all states require insurance coverage, it is best to only utilize roofing companies that can show proof of insurance coverage. The insurance coverage should include both worker’s compensation and liability coverage. This type of insurance coverage offers reassurance that the roofing company is fully liable for any accidents that may occur during the roofing project. Without the assurance of insurance coverage on behalf of the roofing company, you may be personally liable for any accidents and injuries that occur on your property during the roofing project. Also, make sure to check that the insurance coverage dates cover the time that your roofing project is being performed. You don’t want to be in a situation where the roofing company’s insurance expired just prior to your roofing project. You can simply call the insurance company to verify that the insurance coverage is in fact valid. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- Warranties Matter-A good, solid warranty can save you a lot of headache in the end. You never really know what will happen after your roof is installed. Just in case something happens where there are leaks or perhaps the shingles fall of prematurely, you want to be able to have something in place that will allow you to remedy a mistake made on the part of the roofing contractor. Some roofing companies such as Crystal River Roofing Contractor offer manufacturer warranties that provide coverage for the roofing company’s work. Since roofing issues can take years to show up, it is best to have a warranty in place unless you want to pay to have your roof fixed a second time.
- Get a Solid Contract-Having a solid contract is vitally important for anyone that is using a roofing contractor. Legitimate roofing companies will present a roofing contract that provides such details as what type of roofing work is being done, the type of materials being used, the cost of the labor and materials, and the expected start and end date of the roofing job. The roofing contractor should go over the contract with you in full detail, and this is the time when you should ask questions and obtain clarification before signing to have work completed on your roof.
- Handle Your Own Claims-Always handle your own insurance claims. Roofing companies should not be offering to broker “deals” that allow you to get roofing work for at a reduced price. It is illegal for roofing companies to involve themselves in the insurance claim process of a roofing repair. Roof companies are hired to repair and install roofs not to assist with insurance claims. Beware of any roofing company that even remotely suggests manipulation of insurance claims for your benefit. It is insurance fraud, and you don’t want to be an accessory to that.
- Partial Payment in Good Faith-While it may be reassuring to pay for your roofing project in full at the start of the contract, sometimes this is not always the best move. Even with roofing contractors that have the best intentions, things can happen that cause a roofing job to go left. For your protection, it is best to make an agreement with the roofing contractor to make a partial payment for roofing services at the beginning of the project with the balance due upon successful completion. Make sure that this payment arrangement is clearly stated in the contract for roofing services.
- Shop Around-It is always best to shop around for a quality roofing contractor. Even if you receive a glowing referral, it is better to have several good options to choose from. To be on the safe side, have a minimum of three potential roofing contractors such as Inverness Roofing Company as potential considerations. Having more than one option provides you with a back up plan in case something falls through with your preferred choice. Take time to interview the roofing companies of your choice to ensure that they meet your standards.
Selecting a roofing company is an important decision that should not be rushed. Take your time and choose the roofing company in Citrus County, Florida that is best for your next roofing project.